Re: [squid-users] Problem with transparent proxy on bridge machine

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:26:06 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Andrew Daviel wrote:

> We are running a transparent bridge on an RH7.3 machine with Linux 2.4.21
> using brctl. It works fine. Squid works fine in normal mode through the
> admin address of the bridge. But I can't get transparency to work.

Have you enabled the Netfilter Bridge integration in your kernel build?
Separate patch may be required. Look for ebtables (the up to date
Netfilter Bridge integration is included in the same patch).

> I realized that this recipe is designed for a router with 2 ip addresses
> not a bridge, and found a recipe on http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1433/
> which is pretty much what we have with brctl.

Should also work for a bridge, provided it is netfilter enabled..

Have done this successfully in a prototype some many years ago while the
Netfilter Bridge integration was in it's active development state. Have
not tried since but should work but I am for obvious reasons not entirely
up to date with the current state of bridge_nf.