[squid-users] Re: Re: [squid-users] Unwanted DNS lookups?

From: <newsgroups.mail2@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 12:52:01 +0100

Hi Henrik,

and again thanks for your quick reply.

>> acl whitelistip dst some.ip.addresses.here
>> http_access allow whitelistip
> and the use here matches your description above.. (whitelist quick, other
> slow).

Okay, so it seems I'm using the wrong ACL type, but which one would be
right?
The reason I created the whitelistip acl in addition to the domain-based
one is that these IPs do not have DNS records. IOW, I don't need the
functionality that squid checks if the DNS name a user entered matches
the IP in this list, I only need to check if the IP entered by the user
is one of the IPs in this list. Would I have to use regular
expressions for that, or is there a simpler way?
Also, what I don't understand is why a DNS server that doesn't know the
queried IP/DNS, and also doesn't know which other DNS servers to ask,
still speeds up the process. Now, I'm anything but a DNS guru, so
maybe somebody could explain this behavior to me?

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur