[squid-users] Unable to increase file descriptor

From: Yong Bong Fong <bfyong@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:48:45 +0800

Dear all,

   I have a squid that always start with 1024 file descriptors. But I
intend to increase the value because my new proxy will serve around
70-80 users. My squid version is squid-2.5.STABLE5-2, kernel is
2.6.5-1.358. My squid comes with the distribution therefore I did not do
any compiling.

According to the mailing list, I read that:

>you may try to allocate more file descriptors before
>start Squid server. This can be done using "max_open_disk_fds" TAG. In
>addition to that you can allocate more file descriptors at the shell
>level by using following command.
>
>"ulimit -HSn 2048"

I have set in my squid.conf, max_open_disk_fds 2048 but when I restart
squid and check the cache.log it still says "With 1024 file descriptors
available". I thought after alteration, it should have 2048 file
descriptors available instead of 1024?

please help me with this, I am worried because of the large number of
users, 1024 file descriptors might not be enough. Thanks for any help!