Re: [squid-users] High Utilization

From: Jorgen Rosink <jrosink@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:54:45 +0100

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:59:57 -0900, Chris Robertson <crobertson@gci.com> wrote:

> You are seeing peaks of over 20 Mb/sec traffic, from 2500 clients. That's
> quite a bit for one box to be handling. What kind of requests per second
> does that translate out to? (Cache Utilization in the cache manager will
> divulge this information). You might just be hitting the limits of one
> squid server.

Sorry, I forgot that one earlier: http://rosink.op.het.net/squid/cache_util.txt

FYI, we have two Squid parents, both with a seperate outbound
connection. Half of the child proxy servers have squid1 as primary and
squid2 as a secondary (fall back), the other half just the opposite.
Both Squid servers are exactly the same (Hardware&Software), so is
their performance.

> Requests seem to be serviced in a timely manner. Even misses are taking
> just 1/10th of a second to complete.

Yeah, that's why I have no clue how it could be that sometimes there's
a stall for about 5 seconds client side (congestion free network btw).

> > Box is a Xeon 2.4Ghz with 1GB ram and three dedicated 9GB SCSI cache

> Info.txt shows pretty low hit ratios, so perhaps you could use more disk
> space, and Squid can easily use more than a GB of RAM (especially if you
> have lots of disk cache).

A RAM upgrade was already planned, I'll ask for some 18GB disks also...

> You are creating cache digests, but are any of the child
> proxies using it? Are any of the child proxies capable of bypassing this
> Squid server (if not, I'm not sure of the utility of advertising what this
> cache holds).

You're right, digest is bogus, all childs _MUST_ use one of two Squid
servers, will turn it off...

What do you think about the cpu usage, considering it's checking every
request with a 50.000+ blacklist (SquidGuard) ? Is this quite normal
and nothing to worry about, or should I plan a processor upgrade in
the near future ?

Thanks for your reply,

Jorgen Rosink