[squid-users] Official registration of #squid channel on freenode

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:11:22 +0100

Evening...

We are running the #squid channel on the Freenode IRC network. It's pretty
low-traffic but we can help solve a few issues every day. However due
to recent changes of the Freenode channel guidelines [1] the #...
channels are restricted to official projects. Of course we are doing
user support for the Squid proxy software. But due to legal problems
many projects have lately been moved to ##... That means we had to move
to ##squid unless some "project owner" of Squid registers #squid and
appoints operators to run the channel. This guideline is to prevent
channel hijacking.

Just wanted to draw attention to the potential conflict here. I'm not
sure if there is a single person who is "in charge" of Squid. If there
were someone then an official statement to the Freenode network
operator(s) would help to get this sorted out.

Of course renaming a channel wouldn't mean George W. Bush invading China
but people know #squid and it would be nice to keep it.

Regards
 Christoph (ChrisH on IRC)

[1] http://freenode.net/policy.shtml#primarychannels

--