[squid-users] Can you use a pac file to bypass proxy for file downloads?

From: Cody Webb <CodyWebb@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:24:08 -0600

Hello,

        I am planning to host squid on a server with a 100Mbit connection. The company that will be hosting my server only allows 200Gbits of bandwidth per month. Delay pools will be used to limit total bandwidth and speed. I would like home broadband users to bypass the proxy when requesting file downloads (to conserve bandwidth). It was recently brought to my attention that this may be possible by configuring a .pac script to bypass the proxy on commonly known download URL patterns such as .zip and .iso file extensions. Has anyone tried this? Or can someone point me in the right direction as to guides, instructions, or how-tos? I have not been able to find any example scripts for microsoft.

Thanks.

Cody