[squid-users] Re: proxy server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:41:29 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, David I Merchant-Dei Merchant-Dest wrote:

> I am a LINUX newbe, I finally got my RED Hat 6.1 release operating
> system 2.2.12 up and running, I have installed Apache server set up to
> run virtual hosts, of course I have one static ip, and 75 domains. I want
> to know if using Squid as a proxy server would take each domain and
> convert it into a different internal IP so I can setup my virtual
> hosting, please advise. I hope I am not out in left field.

Yes, Squid can be set up as a reverse proxy acting as a vhost frontend to
any number of internal web servers.

Apache also have very good vhost support allowing a single IP to host any
number of domains.

Or in other words, you only need Squid in this picture if you want to run
the web server on some internal server, not directly connected to
Internet. If Apache runs on the Internet connected server then Apache can
do this job directly.