[squid-users] simple authentication help

From: Marc Grober <marc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 18:40:36 -0900

We have a school computer lab for which we essentially want to run a
redirector (with a bit of caching for some flash apps). I had hoped
that squid would let me simply screen on the basis of the browser user
env value and would include in the log the site to be accessed and the
user. the hosts we are using are Macs and do not have identd. we may
have access to ldap for students but do not want students to have to
specifically log into anything once they have logged onto the
workstation. I could not find the documentation for the ldap helper.
There is also a mention of unix authentication and I am not sure where
details for that can be found.

Can someone tell me whether there is a way to authenticate just on the
basis of the browser environmental variable user and if not where I can
find a good identd for OS X 10.3.x or where I can find details on using
ldap.

thanks

marc