Re: [squid-users] Large setup, squid load-balancing problem.

From: Juhani Tali <juhani@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 13:51:01 +0200

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>>For me ICPs only use is that it allows the clients to load-balance based
>>on response time from the servers. (all queries to all servers?) All the
>>external traffic must pass through the squid-s anyway.
>

> along with cache digests, ICP can be used to detect if one of siblings has
> object in its cache. That's why I recommend using it.

The setup in here is that all the external traffic always goes through
the external proxy.
So it does not make any difference and in case of a parent cache hit it
will save some ICP queries.
We have no CPU cycles to waste :(

>>Now I am starting to think, that if the queried parent squid will ask
>>with ICP from other parents/siblings anyway, then what is the real
>>difference...
>
> see http://squid.visolve.com/squid/squid24s1/glossary.htm for difference
> between parent and sibling.
>
> If you have more 2nd-level squid caches with different links, you probably
> should set up them all as parents to your 1st-level proxy and as siblings
> to each other (just for sure) and set up ICMP on all of them to be able to
> know which proxy is closest to the requested data and fetch the data using
> that parent.

Yup, that is what I am doing at the moment.
Two things are different:
in case of a direct parent cache hit (>90%) no ICP queries will be sent
to other parents.
in case of cache miss the is a delay to ask from other caches.

Juhani