Re: [squid-users] Measuring Squid Efficiency

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:46:19 -0600

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:52:29 -0500, Bob Morrison <rmorris@snet.net> wrote:
> I am new to squid and would like to know what information
> to look for to see if a squid cache needs adjusting to
> perform more efficiently.

There're a number of reporting scripts out there which will
parse your access.log and report cache hit rates, which will
provide hard statistics on cache *effectiveness*.

For a list, see: http://www.squid-cache.org/Scripts/

These are useful for showing management the hard and
soft dollar savings from deploying web caching.

By efficiency, I assume you are looking for a way to learn
whether your current settings for "replacement policy"
and for "refresh_pattern" are efficient, or whether objects
are being re-fetched when, under a different tuning, they
could potentially have been served out of cache?

Or perhaps you mean something else by "efficiency"?

Thanks,

Kevin