Re: [Fwd: Re: [squid-users] is really impossible?]

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:46:36 +0200

On 31.03 09:31, Jonis Maurin Ceará wrote:
> I can't....it must be easy for end user :(

easy?
1. set up proxy autoconfiguration file and configure DHCP to support it.
   (you can find this info in archives or google)
2. transparently redirect all users not using proxy to a page that tells
   them how to configure a proxy

> any other idea instead of squid ?

It is not possible. I repeat: IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

No HTTP client will send its proxy authorization to end server, and the
client can not know that you redirected end server to proxy. Senting proxy
authorization data would be security bug. And therefore no browser authors
will code such feature to their browsers, unless you ask any to do it.

"To Boot or not to Boot, that's the question." [WD1270 Caviar]