Re: [squid-users] Help with Squid 2.5 on FreeBSD 5.3 and WCCP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:37:12 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Francis Vidal wrote:

> I've been configuring Squid 2.5-STABLE9 to work with WCCP on FreeBSD
> 5.3-STABLE the whole day, following all the samples in
> http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html#ss17.13, and yet I
> couldn't make it work. Has anyone successfully made Squid 2.5 on
> FreeBSD 5.x with WCCP?

How far have you got?

  0. Is your Squid working if you manually set the proxy settings?

  1. Has the router recognised the cache server? See the WCCP
statistics/info on the router.

  2. Is packets being redirected by the router? Run tcpdump on the FreeBSD
box. You should see GRE packets coming from the router when clients try to
access port 80.

  3. Is the GRE tunnel operational? Again tcpdump is your friend.. (you
should see both the GRE packet on the ethernet and then the real TCP/IP
packet from the GRE interface/tunnel.

  4. Is your Squid working if you manually set the proxy settings?

  5. Do you have the proper nat/firewalling rules on the FreeBSD to have
the TCP/IP packets redirected to Squid when they come out from the GRE
tunnel?

  6. Is Squid properly configured for interception proxying? (if not you
will get error messages from Squid, and a lot of TCP_DENIED/4xx in
access.log...)