Re: [squid-users] COSS or DISKD .. squid 2.5 STABLE or Squid 3 DEVEL ?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 01:30:42 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 3 Apr 2005, Irfan D Prastomo wrote:

> I mostly using diskd all the time, and when the new coss arrive, i never
> gave chance to coss config. I used to use freebsd 5.X in my system and
> ..
>
> what is the best choice to turn my DISKD aside and give a COSS fully
> functional and make a better service .. squid-3-devel with COSS or
> squid-2.5-stable with COSS?

COSS is still considered somewhat experimental in nature.

Squid-3-devel is highly experimental and is known to have several major
bugs.

If you plan on running this in production then you should use 2.5.STABLE,
and test it (COSS) carefully before going live.

If you have a lab environment and want to test the bleeding edge while
helping the developers find all those remaining bugs blocking the
Squid-3.0 release then Squid-3-devel is suitable. But please do not do
this in a production environment as it is already known Squid-3 has
several major bugs which will cause harm to your users data..

> (last time tried COSS with squid-2.5-stable9-patched date .. keep
> restaring squid daemon without any error on cache.log .. never try to
> debug it).

This is most likely due to the current 2.5 tree being somewhat unstable as
there is quite big changes going on to fix bug #437, not due to coss as
such.