[squid-users] Locking down WWW internet access

From: <mlist@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:12:35 -0700 (PDT)

We have 12 locations in our Intranet with all internet blocked except for
a few selected websites. Some users need full access to the Internet.
They use thin clients to a Debian server and are configured to access
select sites through our Squid Proxy. Since we use one server per
location. I cannot configure spefic IP addresses from each client. The
Proxy see's only the server IP. I think using User:Password
Authentication would be the plausible solution. I need to know if it is
posible to use User:Password authentication only when needed. Following
the rules of the ACL; I need it only to prompt for username and password
when the conditions are not met. I do not want it to prompt for
user/password every time someone uses their web browser.
I understand that you must add the following to the squid.conf file.
authenticate_program /usr/local/squid/bin/ncsa_auth
/usr/local/squid/etc/passwd

Can it be placed as a ACL condition when my existing conditions are not met?

Regards,
Jason