Re: [squid-users] Invalid URL error for https site first time

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 00:29:16 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Mark Krawec wrote:

> Our configuration is squid-2.5.STABLE7 using squid_ldap_auth on RH 7.3.
> Our browser is IE 6.0 SP1 and users are running W2k.
> The problem is our users are getting an "invalid URL" error
> page from Squid when they go to a secure site as their first destination.

This is a bug in MSIE 6 (several versions) where it forgets to enable
SSL when asking for authentication.

IIRC you can work around the problem by disabling persistent connections.
Unfortunately incompatible with NTLM authentication.

> I've never seen a definitive answer on why this was happening and what was
> at fault (IE or Squid).

It is clearly IE at fault here. IMHO it is even an MSIE security issue
(not only a plain bug) as MSIE forgets to encrypt the request, which is
supposed to have been securely encrypted and never visible in plain text
to third parties like the proxy..