Re: [squid-users] Using of Squid 3.0 in production environments

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 14:09:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Pawlowski Julian wrote:

> I'd like to know if there are some of you already working with Squid 3.0 in their production environments.

There is. But you need a pretty hard stomach when doing this. Not sure if
there is many of the Squid-3 users subscribed to squid-users however..

> I just tried to find out if there are any recommendations but I didn't find anything...

The recommendation is not to unless you have very knowledgeable staff to
help you resolving the problems which will arise.

> I read the Squid 3.0 release notes of April 20th 2003 and I think there are some interesting changes in difference to the 2.5 in it.

There is plenty of interesting changes.

The most notable for running Squid-3 development versions in production is
ESI, opening a whole new application field for Squid.

For normal proxying or acceleration the latest stable RELEASE is more
suitable, maybe with some patches from devel.squid-cache.org when the
plain STABLE release is not sufficient.

> Although the first pre-release of Squid 3 has been made many years ago,
> there isn't at least one first stable release and I woundered why. Are
> the testing purposes so hard or what exactly is the cause of this?

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200503/0042.html

the rest of the same thread is also interesting wrt this question. The
thread starts at

http://www.squid-cache.org/mail-archive/squid-dev/200503/0032.html