Re: [squid-users] squid + iptables

From: Martin Koniczek <martin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 12:40:06 +0200

> In my web browser, if I enter google ip, it's ok, but "www.google.com" not
> ok! On proxy box, the iptables policies are all to ACCEPT.
> In my lan, I have a dns server, and in isolan, all computers have the same
> resolv.conf :
> nameserver 192.168.0.1 (ip of dns server)
> search <my domain>
> As I don't do any forwarding on proxybox, I understand that computers in
> isolan can't reach the dns server! What sould I do best?? any advices are
> welcomed!

name resolving should be done by squid itself if your clients browser uses
it, so your clients on isolan should not query for www.google.de at all (if
i got your setup right)

do you restrict the domains you allow to be accesses by squid?
something like:

acl GOODDOMAINS dstdomain .google.com
http_access allow GOODDOMAINS
http_access deny all

if so, did you add .google.com and not only google.com to the acl?
also note that specifying .google.com AND www.google.com can produce
unwanted outcomes, see the faqs, and look for acl/splaying tree

sincerly,
    martin koniczek