[squid-users] Squid and DNS caching

From: SirWING <sirwing@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 04:23:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.

I'm using squid-2.5.7-1

As I understand it Squid has it's own internal DNS cache, which is
enabled by default unless you compile Squid with the
--without-internal-dns flag.

How can I see that the DNS caching is running? Is squid still using the
daemon/application "dnsserver" which usually is located in
/usr/lib/squid ? (the file is nowhere to be found)

When doing a tcpdump I see a DNS request for each proxy request, which
seems to indicate that DNS is not being cached.
Btw. no DNS caching software is installed on the operating system
(Linux).

Are there any settings for squid.conf for the internal DNS caching? I
wasn't able to find any.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards,
Jacob Rohlff