RE: [squid-users] ip address translation

From: Elsen Marc <elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:52:31 +0200

> All,
>
> All our users are going via squid, however, on one of our web
> servers I
> need to be able to determine the ip address of the pc that is
> accessing
> the server so I can redirect the user to their own page, however, the
> original clients ip address is being substituted by the proxy ip
> address. How do I ensure that the ip address detected by the
> web server
> is the original client's ip rather than the ip address of the
> squid? And
> make it more complex this is required only for a particular ip range!

 Basically , you can't. Note that squid sits at the app. layer
 and has no 'access' to the IP stack.
 Witchcraft stuff does exist to do this, but needs capabilities
 of the underlying os. Not easy.
 Far from straight forward. You may check the archives on this.
 But I recommend a 3 month sabatical first.

 Basically the remote webserver must check the X-Forwarded-for
 header which squid includes for each request. If so enabled.
 I mean, squid must have X-Forwarded 'on'; that should be a default
 however.

 M.