Re: [squid-users] delay_pools with dst access list type not work?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:37:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005, Sergey Chistyakov wrote:

> I am trying to configure my cache for next thing:
> All downloads from nets of our city are unlimited.
> All another downloads mast be limited by delay pool.
>
> As i read many tims - it is must work.
> Where is mistake?

Your configuration looks syntactically correct. But due to the
implementation of delay_access it is however not reliable on acls
requiring an external lookup of any kind (DNS, helper, ident lookups etc).

> I tryied many variations of this delay pool.
> I checked acl city_nets - its works. (http_access deny city_nets is work
> perfect)

What you can do to limit the effect of the above is to cause http_access
to evaluate the information needed

http_access deny city_nets !all

just before where you allow the requests.

but even without this Squid should learn and the next request(s) to the
same destination should be processed properly.

> After reading this mail list, i know - pools works only with "fast"
> acl. But dst acl is fast - no need some axtra doing for this acls.

Squid needs to do a DNS lookup to get the destination IP address from the
host name in the request.