[squid-users] Re: High Utilization

From: L. Jankok <lj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 10:37:17 +0200

On 0, Chris Robertson <crobertson@gci.com> wrote:
:> -----Original Message-----
:> From: Jorgen Rosink [mailto:jrosink@gmail.com]
:> Sent: Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:31 AM
:> To: squid-users@squid-cache.org
:> Subject: [squid-users] High Utilization
:>
:> Hi,
:>
:> I'm using 2.5.STABLE8 from Debian Sarge and experiencing very high
:> utilization and random stalls client side at peek time. Did upgrade to
:> 2.5.STABLE9 from Debian Unstable, but no difference so far. I'm almost
:> sure I misconfigured some (or all ;-)) things, but totally out of
:> options.
:>
:> To see some performance:
:>
:> http://rosink.op.het.net/squid/day_stats.png
:>
:
:You are seeing peaks of over 20 Mb/sec traffic, from 2500 clients. That's
:quite a bit for one box to be handling. What kind of requests per second
:does that translate out to? (Cache Utilization in the cache manager will
:divulge this information). You might just be hitting the limits of one
:squid server.
:
snip

Hi Folks,

I have one box which serves 4500 users and saturates a
45 Mb (T3) Line.
Sadly enough due to politics that box will be phased
out in favor of a commercial solution..
During normal working hours the median is 28 Mb/sec and
during busy moments it will reach and stay 44.xx Mb/sec
for as long as it takes. The hardware is a HP DL360 G3
Xeon 2.4 Ghz with 1.5 GB RAM and 2 x 15K hd's. OS is
FreeBSD tuned.
My point is to clarify that 20 Mb/sec is by long not the
limit of a single squid instance.

Regards,

LJ