[squid-users] Re: Delay-pools

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 22:04:16 -0400

Vaughan Roberts wrote:

> I am thinking about implementing delay-pools in my squid transparent proxy
> on my Linux box. The reason is that my ISP (cable modem) has a monthly
> limit on the number of bytes I can download. This didn't use to be a
> problem, but recently my two kids have got laptops from school and all of
> a sudden I am hitting the size limit as they plug into my LAN and play
> games, mp3s, msn etc.

Squid's delay pools aren't the right tool for this.

Squid's delay pools will not count all bytes passed over the Internet
connection (i.e. protocol overhead), whereas your cable provider almost
certainly does. Furthermore, games and IM very likely aren't being tunneled
over HTTP (unless you are somehow forcing them to), so Squid won't even see
that traffic.

I would suggest using a general IP-level accounting tool for tracking total
usage (though I don't know of one to suggest off-hand).

Adam