Re: [squid-users] squid with 16384 descriptors still running out.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:08:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005, Ray Charles wrote:

> I am getting the "Your Cache is Running out of
> FileDescriptors" error again.

If you see this with 16384 filedescriptors then something is almost
certainly very wrong somewhere.

> Any danger in doubling the FD again? to 32768 ??

Most likely won't help. filedescriptor shortage is most likely not the
cause to your problems, only a symptom.

Check in order:

1. That your Squid is not swapping.

2. If there is some clients having abnormally many connections to the
proxy. May be infected by worms or similar banging very hard at HTTP.

3. Try "half_closed_clients off". Solves a tricky situation which arises
if there is run-away clients trying to access unreachable destinations
(commonly worms trying to spread).

4. The I/O load on your Squid server. Including what kind of cache_dir you
are using.