Re: [squid-users] SquidNT service: new start problems

From: <eupec@dont-contact.us>
Date: 4 May 2005 07:02:13 -0000

Hi,

At 21.24 23/04/2005, eupec@supereva.it wrote:

>Hi all,
> SquidNT sometimes won't start, apparently with no reasons: this
> happens when we power on and boot our server...the service is set as
> "Auto"; no errors occurred in the Event Viewer (it not starts at all, so
> I think it's normal). The squidNT service was configured with -O -D
> options to avoid the initial DNS check, and just sometimes fails to start
> automatically: in this case, I have to manually start the service and
> then SquidNT works as expected. How can I track down this annoying and
> *strange* problem? I think is not so simply, because if squidNT fails to
> start, ok, I look in the logfiles/event viewer and I see the reason of
> the failure, but if the service is not started at all...
>
>My server: QDI P4 1.7 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 2 hd SCSI 10 krpm in raid1, 2 reltek
>nics, Windows 2000 server SP4, patched with all the "important" hotfixes
>post SP4. The server is also a PDC.

::Look in the same directory where is squid.exe, and when
::squid fails to
::start, look in the squid.exe.log file: it contains stderr
::output generated
::during service startup.
::
::Regards

Hi Guido, sorry for the late reply, but I had to wait to see the problem another one time on my SquidNT box.

The Squid.exe.log content is:

"2005/05/04 08:14:15| Squid is already running! Process ID 1228".

I've checked the PID 1228, but is not Squid: PID 1228 belongs to svchost.exe. Squid is not present in the process table, so file squid.exe.log have a nonsense content for me (squid isn't running at all). How can I do further investigations on my problem?

Thank you, Eupec

::Guido

Scegli il tuo dominio preferito e attiva la tua email! Da oggi
l'eMail di superEva e' ancora piu' veloce e ricca di funzioni!
http://webmail.supereva.it/new/