Re: Re: [squid-users] Making ACL for an IP range

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 11:07:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Ivan Petrushev wrote:

> That's exactly what I need :) In that example what is the purpose of the
> subnet mask? Does it have to match the subnet mask configured on the PCs
> over the network? Or it is only for determing the IP range parameters?

It specifies the size of the addresses specified.

The same syntax is used for specifying ranges of networks. I.e you can use

  acl my_networks src 172.16.1.0-172.16.3.0/24

for matching the three 172.16.1-3.* networks.

Due to some odd logics in Squid wrt netmaks size detection it is best to
always specify the mask size (or netmask if you prefer). If you do not
specify the maks size then Squid tries to guess, but it is not always
right, especially so on ranges.