[squid-users] Re: Questions on Squid Usage/Config

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 01:57:13 +0200 (CEST)

Please use the squid-users mailinglist for Squid usage and configuration
questions.

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Mark Romer wrote:

> Do you have any data or experience-based estimates about how many
> companies use Squid?

It's very hard to tell as there is no registration of who is using Squid,
but experience indicate it is very common among companies having their own
UNIX IT staff.

> Is use biased towards small companies, large companies, tech companies,
> non-tech companies?

My experience indicates mainly small tech companies, ISPs and large
companies.

small non-tech companies in my experience rarely install Squid unless they
have a Linux/FreeBSD sawy IT admin, but quite some may be running
networking/firewalliing appliances of different kinds where Squid is
included and then often without knowing they use Squid.

> And how many prefer to use static vs. auto vs. script for configuration
> of browsers?

In the large companies segment using Squid my estimate is approximate
50/50 automated proxy settings via login scripts vs proxy.pac scripts.
Very few rely on static per-client config. It also seems very few
companies are using automatic proxy discovery mechanisms but this may be
an underestimate.

In ISPs static configuration or automatic proxy discovery is the most
common, if not counting automatic interception of port 80.

Automatic interception of port 80 is also quite common in all four cases,
more so in the smaller companies/ISPs, forcing all port 80 traffic via the
proxy without requiring client configuration.