RE: Odp: Re: [squid-users] how to apply epoll-2_5 patch to squid2.5-stable9

From: Steven Wilton <swilton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:48:05 +0800

I did manage to trace the cause of the "epoll_ctl(EPOLL_CTL_DEL): failed on
fd=197" messages. The latest epoll patch fixes this problem.

There are 2 messages that the new patch will cause to appear with the
default debug options (ALL,1):

storeClientCopy3: <url> - clearing ENTRY_DEFER_READ

This is caused when an object has been deferred, and for some reason the
memory has not been freed, even though all clients have seen all in-memory
parts of the url. I can't see why this would be the case, and I'm sure it's
not caused by the epoll code, but the epoll code needs to catch this
condition.

WARNING defer handler for fd=<fd>(<url>) does not call commDeferFD() -
backing off manually.

This is caused when an object has data ready to be read, and the defer
handler reports that the read should be deferred, but does not tell the
epoll code to back off. This debug would probably be very noisy if used
with delay pools, but other than that it indicates a non-optimised defer
handler.

These two debug statements do not produce a large number of entries in the
debug logs (181 and 52 messages respectively out of 3204 messages total in
one of our proxy server's cache.log out of a total of ~4.2 million
requests). The proxy server does handle these cases appropriately, but they
indicate sub-optimal performance. As they represent a tiny fraction of the
total number of requests, I have not spent any time working out the exact
cause of these problems.

Regards
Steven