[squid-users] Making squid filter POST contents

From: Adeoye Oke <adeoye@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 17:40:20 +0100

Hello list,

I have a question, which I know will involve more than just squid however I
believe squid should be my starting point. I have a Linux based squid box
acting transparently for a public Internet access network, running RH 9 and
it also has apache, mysql and runs some other minor applications for a
network of about 40 windows PCs. However, I would like to be able to screen
the content of web-based emails sent through squid.

I believe this could be achieved by say redirecting POST requests to some
custom filter of a sort and if certain keyword matches occur (much like spam
filtering), the user instead of having his page submitted, would be
redirected to an authorization page, at which point if the submission was
allowed, could be manually reviewed by calling an administrators attention,
and then say a password could be entered to grant the submission of the
content.

I know this seems quite a bit of work just to filter email, but believe me,
in this situation it might be necessary. My question really is, how much of
this can be handled by squid alone, and what could I use to handle any part
which cant be. I am thinking of maybe some php/perl script might be involved
somewhere, but I'm having a little problem coming up with something from
scratch and then piecing it all together.

If anyone has any pointers I could follow or probably has a similar or set
of similar utilities I could adapt to suit the purpose, I would be most
grateful. ANY input at all is valuable.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Adeoye Oke (Senior Consultant)