Re: [squid-users] Cache failover and Linux HA

From: Hendrik Voigtländer <hendrik@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 09:19:17 +0200

Stephane Poirey wrote:
> Hi,
> I am looking for return of experience on successful deployment of Squid on
> a Linux HA cluster.
>
> My main question is : which strategy to adopt regarding the cached items ?
> Use a shared network drive ? Or in case of failure just start the slave
> proxy disregarding what is in its cache, and thus have a slightlty
> downgraded user experience.
>
> Thank you.

Hi,

what kind of setup are you thinking about? Transparent proxy?
I wouldn't use a shared network drive as I/O Performance is critical for
squid. If you use a loadbalancing/ha solution both proxies will have a
recent data in the cache.
I will use proxy.pac-loadbalancing/ha when we deploy our second squid.
Sounds nice & simple.

Regards, Hendrik Voigtländer