Re: [squid-users] Bypass Squid for some sites

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:38:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 5 May 2005, Brett Simpson wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to bypass Squid for certain sites that
> don't work properly. I am not using a transparent firewall so I have to
> bypass it on the Squid server itself.

You can't. You have to do this in the client config.

PAC scripts is very suitable for this.

> Basically I don't want Squid to do anything except send the packets
> directly to the destination system. Doing a always_direct and no_cache
> doesn't seem to help.

This can not be done on a paket level.

As soon as the client has sent the request to the proxy it is too late to
send it directly to the origin server. All the proxy can do is to detect
the fact that the request was sent to the proxy, and has two options
either attempt to forward(proxy) the request or reject the request giving
an error message to the client.