Re: [squid-users] DNS lookup failure when transparent proxy

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 23:59:25 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 13 May 2005, Steven Morris wrote:

> I've installed squid version 2.5 release 9 on redhat linux fedora core 3 and
> setup a proxy server (with 2 ethernet ports) between my LAN and the internet.
> I've successfully configured Squid so the proxy server runs transparently and
> intercepts all http requests from clients on the LAN.
> When I enter IP address's (including the IP address for google) in the
> client's web browser URL, the pages are served fine, but when I enter a
> domain name in the URL,
> the browser returns the 'Page Cannot be displayed message'.

Sounds like your Squid has not picked up the correct DNS settings, or that
something is preventing DNS from working on your proxy server.

Can you successfully look up DNS names using dig on the proxy server?

Also try restarting Squid. Squid picks up the DNS settings on startup and
if these was changed (by DHCP or whatever) after Squid was started Squid
will still attempt to use the old DNS settings.