[squid-users] proxy acceleration to single hosts with multiple listening ports

From: thijn <thijn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:32:36 +0200

Hi,

I have been digging the archives and could not find an answer to my
issue, if this question has been asked before, i appologize.. if someone
could point me to that resource, please do.
The info so far i have seen does not realy go into my situation as it
assumes most webservers run on default ports (80).o
The examples i have seen so far only realy talk about one IP one
webserver on one port

I have the following issue/problem:

For years i have been using the apache proxy directives to forward
traffic to various webservers (apaches & tomcats).
These webservers run on various non default ports, it is not possible to
let all of them listen on the same port as defined in squid.conf ,or at
least run on the same port as the accelerated port

Now the acceleration mechanisme works for default stuff.
for example if a user would use the following URL's in their browsers.
www.example.org > www.trueserver.org (works)
www.example.org:8080 > www.trueserver.org:8080 (works)

but
www.example.org > www.trueserver.org:57007 is not working.

Basicly i dont want to bother users with portnumbers.. also as we want
to migrate from an apache based proxy mechanisme to a squid central
proxy solution, allready URLs are communicated to users and website
owners.. it would be unpractical to adjust the URLS for more then a 100
sites.

I know i can use iptables or any firewall mechanisme to redirect port 80
to a different host on a different port.. as long as there is only one
tomcat/apache daemon listening on that IP/port..
But what if your backendservers look like this:
195.169.98.36:57007
195.169.98.36:57008
195.169.98.36:57009
195.169.98.36:9000
195.169.98.36:8000
195.169.98.36:8080

195.169.98.40:9000
195.169.98.40:8000
195.169.98.40:8080
and so on...

How to make a map between
www.site1.org > 195.169.98.36:57007
www.site2.org > 195.169.98.36:57008
www.site3.org > 195.169.98.36:57009
etc etc etc

So.. the question is howto accelerate on a single squid traffic to hosts
which do not listen on default ports without users knowing or having to
bother which ports the actual site is running.
I am sure i am not the only one with a slightly less default reverse
proxy setup, so i was kinda suprised i did not find info on such a setup

Any pointers, ideas, tips, hints are more then welcome and will be much
appreciated.

Thanx in advance :)

--
Thijn van der Schoot