Re: [squid-users] Passing thru TOS headers to clients

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 15:39:14 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 9 May 2005, iwsc@myway.com wrote:

> The solution that would solve the impasse: to use SQUID in accelerator
> mode and SQUID to pass thru the packages with TOS unchanged (if it is
> 0x88 before SQUID so it would be 0x88 after it and viceversa for 0x00).

Why accelerator mode? Normal proxy mode is what you want I think.

> I know that the Squid is an open-source application and I've tried to
> look at the sources, but my age doesn't permit me to take it from the
> begining and learn programming language, as I'm not a programmer, in
> order to discern the great stupendous application.

It is somewhat more tricky than it may seem. The TCP/IP kernel does not
give Squid access to what the TOS/DS value of the return traffic was. At
least not on Linux which I am most familiar with.

Setting the TOS/DS value is almost trivial. This is already supported on
the outgoing connections Squid make via the outgoing_tos directive, and
having a similar function to set the TOS/DS on return traffic to clients
would not be very hard. The problem for your case is to know what TOS/DS
to set..

> I am absolutely convinced that your time is practically inexistent but I
> must tell you that this feature of SQUID would solve problems of
> thousands users here and crossborder as the provider is multinational
> company.
>
> A feature like "pass_headers on" in conjunction with accelerator mode
> settings :) would be heaven !

Squid operates at the application level, not packet level. There is no
concept of "headers" at the application level, only TCP/IP connections and
the streams of data within them.