Re: [squid-users] Squid Passwords - how do i change?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 16:28:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 18 May 2005, John Walubengo wrote:

> I am having a quick one here.
>
> I consultant set up my squid to allow internet access
> through just two users: Staff and Student.
>
> I now want to:
> i) Change the passwords for the above User names.
> ii) Move onto to give individual username/passwords scheme
> for the various users.
>
> How can i do this quickly and simply?

First identify the authentication mechanism from your squid.conf. Most
likely ncsa_auth is used. Look for "auth_param" (or
"authenicator_program" in older versions).

If ncsa_auth is used then the argument given to ncsa_auth is the password
file used by your Squid. This password file is maintained with the
htpasswd command from Apache.