Re: [squid-users] using ICMP - should I?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 06:26:31 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 25 May 2005, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> so when the destination server has more IP address, they are
> NOT being checked for lowest RTT, only neighbour proxies are.
> Right?

Not entirely sure. Have not been using the ICMP support much as pinging
the sites like this is often blocked by firewalling, and there is even
some sites using IDS systems banning you from using the site if you do...

In addition the number of sites having more than one IP is somewhat
limited, and enabling site ICMP pining is an all-or-nothing option in
Squid adding the overhead of the ICMP pinging to all sites.