Re: [squid-users] Squid without Perl. Is it possible?

From: Kevin <kkadow@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:47:20 -0500

On 5/27/05, Claudio Roberto Cussuol <claudio@rictec.com.br> wrote:
> I'm trying to add squid to a firewall-in-a-floppy little distribution called
> Coyote Linux.

I'd assume this is similar to the BSD-based m0n0wall and pfSense, which
use a floppy to store the firewall configuration (the above tools boot from CD).

> Coyote doen't have perl and I don't like to add it too.
> If I leave some squid resources out can I produce a perl independent version?

The actual Squid-2.5 caching proxy binary application does not require you
have perl; there are add-ons for cachemgr and log parsing and such which
are entirely optional, which do use perl.

Technically, all you really need to have a functional squid daemon are
the "squid.conf" file, the "squid" and "unlinkd" binaries, plus the "share"
directory containing the "errors" (HTML error files) and "icons" (graphics)
subdirectories and files.

When running the squid daemon on a "diskless" machine, you'll need to
make some adjustments to how the cache server operates and where
(or whether) it writes the logs.

Kevin Kadow