RE: [squid-users] tune up

From: Steven Wilton <swilton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:42:40 +0800

If you're referring to my postings about a month ago, I've been doing some
further tests after getting some pointers from different people, and the
results are different.

We have a number of sets of proxies in different locations, each set being
load-balanced using wccp and layer 3 switch. My results were different when
comapring caches with lower loads (Avg 39 req/sec, peak 70 req/sec) than
when I was comparing caches with higher loads (170 req/sec avg, peak
>300req/sec).

I was using the aufs cache_dir type, as I have found this to be
significantly faster than diskd when running on linux. The different
paramaters that I was comparing were the load average (with aufs, as disk
i/o increases, there will be more threads waiting on disk i/o, which will
push the load average up), the disk utilisation (% time each disk had active
operations) and cpu utilisation.

I found that under low loads, ext3 mounted with data=writeback (the same
level of data protection as other journalled filesystems) gave the best
numbers (ie lower CPU, lower disk utilisation and lower load average.

I found that on our more loaded systems, reiserfs had lower disk utilisation
and a lower load average, at a slight cost of CPU time.

So, if the disk i/o is going to be a bottleneck (as it is in our case),
reiserfs is probably a better choice. If CPU is the main bottleneck, then
ext2/3 may be the best choice.

It also looks like reiserfs may use more resources under low load, but
scales better at the higher loads. This confirms the results of previous
benchmarks that show reiserfs to provide the highest throughput for a squid
proxy server (using the Web Polygraph program).

Steven