Re: [squid-users] Abridged URL gives wierd squid error on STABLE10?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 14:25:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Frank Hamersley wrote:

> I have been testing Squid 2.5 S10 on a RH80 Bastion Firewall host (cable
> network connected) for QA as a precursor to upgrading a production system
> and have been getting some wierd stuff happening. I'm not convinced Squid
> is at fault but more on that later.

What did access.log say?

Is this a normal proxy config, or are you using transparent interception?

> http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

> While trying to retrieve the URL:
> /firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

This indicates the URL was sent to Squid a web server, not proxy.. so
someone thought your Squid is the www.google.com web server.

> I personally suspect the underlying problem is a flakey DNS.

maybe, but it's not the only possible cause.

For it to be DNS the DNS server needs to return the wrong IP address, not
a failure.

> shown above is not one of my domains! Another factor is that I am using
> iptables to redirect internal port 80 to 3128 (PREROUTING) to supply
> squid with requests rather than having squid listen on 80.

Is there any difference if you set your browser to use the Squid proxy
port?

> In light of this does this symptom appear to be what you would expect if the
> DNS lookup failed?

No. If the DNS lookup failed your Squid returns an error saying so.