[squid-users] IDENT logging inconsistent

From: Geoff Varney <geoff.varney@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:35:24 -0700

Hi,

I am running SquidNT 2.5STABLE7. I recently deployed the SmoothWall IDT
client and have told Squid to log IDENT. What I'm seeing is that computers
are providing the ident info but it's inconsistent. I can even see the same
computer logging a username and the next request from that computer is
anonymous. I don't see any particular pattern, but it would be hard to see.

I did try increasing ident_timeout from 10 to 15 s. to see if that helped,
but many of these machines are on the same LAN segment as the server and
shouldn't need that long. Could there be a problem with too many ident
requests happening concurrently? If so, are there any parameters to tweak
to make the ident work more consistently? An example of how busy the server
is over a period of time:

About 5 hours of use

243 computers

711MB of download

Has anyone else seen this sort of behavior with ident and found any way to
make it more consistent?

Thanks,

Geoff