RE: [squid-users] dstdomain acl is not working for IP addresses- squid-STABLE10

From: <cgfreita@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 15:01:13 -0300 (BRT)

Hello,

>> squid-STABLE10 ( compiled from the official source )
>> Linux - Slackware
>>
>> I am having troubles with dstdomain acl.
>> I have already looked at my confs and they seen to be correct.
>> Could someone, please, help me to find what is the problem?
>>
>> My conf, and some example of files used there, are at the bottom.
>>
>> Lets use, arbitrary, for example, the domain: miniclip.com
>>
>> As could be seen in confs, I have this domain in dst_a(acl), but if
>> I try to acess www.miniclip.com using 66.165.172.181 ip address it
>> loads with no problem.
>>

> You might have picked a bad example... 66.165.172.181 does not have any
> in-addr.arpa information associated with it. In other words, a reverse
> lookup for 66.165.172.181 does not return a hostname. No way for squid to
> know that they are one and the same.

     I am still looking for help.
     I realized that this IP number doesn't have a reverse lookup, but, in
this case, how to solve the problem? If I use the IP the URL is
loaded fine.

>> I have tried some regex to get ip addresses in url_regex acl, but I
>> got some problems, as, for example, hotmail. When trying to download
>> files there, the URL is generated using ip addresses and gets
>> blocked. So, I have to get dstdomain working.
>>

> Perhaps you should white list a few IP addresses (or ranges) as IP
> addresses, and deny the rest by default.

     It is very complicated to obtain, because I have a lot of sites do
block by dstdomain and I can't predict where a problem with appears
with an IP address used at URL instead of server name. Did I miss
something?

     I am still looking for a solution.
     Thank you for your attention.

Cheers,