[squid-users] Outlook Web Access, Reverse Proxy and Spell Check

From: John O'Reilly <JOReilly@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:24:01 +0100

Hi there,

Can anyone help me with a problem I'm currently experiencing using Squid 3.0 as a reverse proxy for our Exchange 2003 Server. The problem is the same as detailed by 'Lena M' on 15 April 2004 as given below, along with Henrik's response.

Here are the relevant sections of my squid.conf:

https_port 443 cert=/usr/local/squid/etc/MYWEBMAIL.com.crt key=/usr/local/squid/etc/MYWEBMAIL.com.key accel vhost
cache_peer EXCHANGE.INTERNALNETWORK parent 80 0 no-query originserver login=PASS front-end-https=auto

and below are the entries from my access.log that cover the period between pressing the spell check button and receiving the 'Spelling can't be checked' message:

1118228886.558 13 172.16.0.1 TCP_MISS/200 8487 GET https://MYWEBMAIL.com/exchange/USER/?cmd=spellcheck - FIRST_UP_PARENT/EXCHANGE.INTERNALNETWORK text/html
1118228903.987 5 172.16.0.1 TCP_MISS/207 579 POLL https://MYWEBMAIL.com/exchange/USER/Inbox - FIRST_UP_PARENT/EXCHANGE.INTERNALNETWORK text/xml
1118229023.989 5 172.16.0.1 TCP_MISS/207 579 POLL https://MYWEBMAIL.com/exchange/USER/Inbox - FIRST_UP_PARENT/EXCHANGE.INTERNALNETWORK text/xml
1118229044.987 158166 172.16.0.1 TCP_MISS/200 787 POST https://MYWEBMAIL.com/exchweb/bin/spell/owaspell.dll - FIRST_UP_PARENT/EXCHANGE.INTERNALNETWORK text/xml

Any help and / or advice you be greatly appreciated.

John.

--------------------
From: Lena M <lena__m@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 10:07:30 -0400

Hello,

I hope someone can help me in resolving squid-outlook web access spell
checker issue.

I have squid version 3.0 sitting in front of an exchange server. Squid
handles forwarding to the exchange's outlook web access and provides a
verisign ssl certificate.

When I access outlook internally (bypass the squid server), the spell
checker works perfectly.

However, when accessing the same page via squid/ssl, the spell cheker fails.
And I get the following error: "The spelling in this item can't be checked.
Try again later".

Squid is running on redhat 9.

Your suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Lena
----------
From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 10:43:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Lena M wrote:

> However, when accessing the same page via squid/ssl, the spell cheker fails.
> And I get the following error: "The spelling in this item can't be checked.
> Try again later".
>
> Your suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

What does access.log say?

And this compared to the access log on the OWA server when not using the
proxy?

--------------------

Internet communications are not secure and therefore ITIS Holdings
cannot accept responsibility for the contents of this message. If you wish to
verify that this email is genuine please contact us at the address
above.

This email is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient.
If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, copying or
disclosure of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email
in error please delete this email and contact us immediately. Any personal
opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender and should not
be taken as being representative of ITIS Holdings plc.