[squid-users] Authentication not accepted when forwarding requests to a parent proxy server

From: Tom Barnfield <tom.barnfield@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:03:40 +1200

I have added the lines below to my squid conf file:

cache peer <IP address of parent proxy server> parent 3128 0 no-query
default
acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
never_direct allow all

With these lines added, the requests do appear to be directed to the parent
proxy and the authentication window for the parent pops up. When the
username and password are entered and OK is clicked, the authentication
window pops up again. The user never gets past the authentication request.

If I remove the 3 lines above, the local caching server works OK, without
going through the authenticating parent.