[squid-users] Invalid Request with STABLE10 + PF

From: Matt Haught <mahaught@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 19:11:39 -0400

I just upgraded squid to STABLE10 from 9 and am having a bit of a
problem. I am using FreeBSD 5.4 and using the transparent pf feature.
Before the upgrade everything worked great. But now I get an error
message when trying to access any and all pages.

The following error was encountered:

    * Invalid Request

Some aspect of the HTTP Request is invalid. Possible problems:

    * Missing or unknown request method
    * Missing URL
    * Missing HTTP Identifier (HTTP/1.0)
    * Request is too large
    * Content-Length missing for POST or PUT requests
    * Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed

In my log I see:
2005/06/22 18:32:57| parseHttpRequest: PF open failed: (13) Permission denied
2005/06/22 18:32:57| clientReadRequest: FD 16 Invalid Request

I have not changed any settings in the squid.conf and my pf.conf has
not changed. I used the exact same configure options on both. The
configure script output stated that the pf option was enabled. I did
not see anything obvious in the changlog. If I manually put the cache
address into my browser's proxy settings, everything works. I have
since backed out to STABLE9, again with the same options, and
everything works correctly. Any idea what I am missing?

Thanks,
Matt