Re: [squid-users] generated messages

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:13:43 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, kdv wrote:

> I don't know c++ at all but I created this patch fo 2.5stable10 (included as
> diff file) it seems to be working :).
> It implements some more anonimity not for user but for cache server (one can
> disable showing squid's signature).
>
> It's not ready yet (I learned squid's code in one night :) ), I just want to
> know if this patch will be applied to squid?

No new features is accepted into Squid-2.5.

But the Squid-3 tree is open for submission of new features, and most
submissions to the Squid-3 tree is accepted unless the quality or style of
the submission is insufficient. However there already is one related
directive to suppress the Squid version number in Squid-3:

NAME: httpd_suppress_version_string
COMMENT: on|off
TYPE: onoff
DEFAULT: off
LOC: Config.onoff.httpd_suppress_version_string
DOC_START
         Suppress Squid version string info in HTTP headers and HTML error pages.
DOC_END

It is also worth noticing that you can change the error pages to read
mostly whatever you want without recompiling, including the signature:

    http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-19.html#custom-err-msgs

The only requirement is that you are required you to mention the Squid
application name (and version for 2.5 and earlier) somewhere in the page,
but it may be within an HTML comment if you prefer.

FTP pages and HTTP headers is not customizable without recompile however.