RE: [squid-users] Problems with effective user

From: David Gameau <David.Gameau@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:50:00 +0930

I have seen similar behaviour in our test environment.
(sparc Solaris 9)

Comparing a truss (of an attempt to shutdown the proxy)
between a working (20050525) and non-working (20050621)
nightly build shows Squid dropping its privileges before
sending the kill signal through.
(As Lloyd has indicated, this is where the problem occurs.)

Another work-around I found was to 'su' down to squid
(in our startup script) to start the proxy. But that
might break other depending on whether Squid needed any
root privileges during startup.

Regards,
David.
__

David Gameau
ISTS - Unix Systems
University of South Australia

email: david.gameau@unisa.edu.au
phone: +61 8 302 3533
fax: +61 8 302 5800

Disclaimer: I didn't do it. Nobody saw me do it. You can't prove
anything.