Re: [squid-users] LOG files

From: Abu Khaled <khaled.abu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 05:48:07 +0300

On 6/29/05, Christian Souw <christian.souw@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> This is really stupid question, forgive me.
>
> I want to check the access log in Squid. I try to open the file (access.log)
> directly like windows (just double click), it won't open or show me
> anything.
>
> Is anybody here can tell me how to open the squid access log ? I need to
> check my users connection and audit them.
>
> Thanks a lot
>
> Chris

The logfile is in unix format and needs to be converted to dos format
so windows can read it. you can try open it in windows command line
using 'edit <filename>' to view it but even then you well not be able
to see all of the file and it is not easy to browse throw it.

http://www.squid-cache.org/Scripts/
Here you well find many logfile analysis software for squid. Some of
them run on windows os directly or as perl scripts.

My favorite one is SARG it runs on many unix and unix-like OSs.
You can then view the reports it generates as html files either from a
web server like apache or copy the reports to a windows client and
view the html files.

http://sarg.sourceforge.net/sarg.php
check the sample report to see if this software is for you!

--
Kind regards
Abu Khaled