Re: [squid-users] Performance question

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 17:03:18 +0200

On 29.06 03:42, John Halfpenny wrote:
> i'm in a similar situation. i'm replacing an isa box (something like a
> 2ghz machine with 1 big ata disk) with squid over the summer.
>
> we have a dual p2-400 server with 3 scsi disks in. i'm in the process of
> putting squid on it now using a 686 smp kernel to try and squeeze every
> ounce of speed from it!

SQUID itself won't benefit of multi CPU configuration, but the rest of OS
and diskd/aufs spool (using threads or different processes) will.

> one thing i can tell you at this stage, is that if you set up software
> raid0 to take care of the striping (rather than configuring squid to use
> the different drives) the access is way ahead of the performance of a
> single ata drive. and this is from a server which is around 6 years old.

Where did you get this? Your speed will be smaller when using RAID0, and
when you loose one of disks, you will loose whole cache with RAID0, instead
of just part of it.

So, please tell me who provided you the informations that RAID0 (HS or SW)
is better?

> incidentally, we use a separate box for dansguardian with a fast processor
> in it. you really need that for dg.

It doesn't need to be separate box, if the CPU's are enough. If you have 2
CPUs in squid machine, you'll get one of them used only a bit, so you can
put DG onto the same machine, if the CPU is fast enough and you have enough
of memory.

Spam = (S)tupid (P)eople's (A)dvertising (M)ethod