Re: [squid-users] Pessimal behavior with Windows Update (Long)

From: Brett Glass <squid-users@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 10:14:43 -0600

At 11:33 PM 6/28/2005, Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> Looks like someone from Microsoft reads this list for ideas and happened
> to see your long post. They now have addressed your windows update
> problem - files being overly big, by releasing a patch yesterday

I was hopeful when I read this, but after looking at the update
I don't think it will have much impact. The update eliminates the
need to download about 477 KB (in a separate file) when patching
the system. Also, some of the updates are now as big as *723 MB*,
so the difference is a minuscule fraction of their bloated size.

What I'd really like to see (besides the fixes to Squid, which are
needed anyway) is for Microsoft to use compressed differential
patches, a la RTPatch.

--Brett