RE: [squid-users] Installing squidGuard - Fedora Core 3

From: Jay Turner <jturner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:26:26 +0800

At the time I started using SquidGuard (around three years ago), it was well
known that 3.2.9 was the most reliable version of DB to use. This was
discussed extensively on the SquidGuard maillist in particular by Rick
Matthews. I have not since bothered trying later versions of DB to see if it
works, because I know that 3.2.9 works..

I quote from a message posted by Rick on the SquidGuard list on 21/3/2003:

"In spite of what the documentation says, squidGuard 1.2.0 requires
version 3.29 of the Berkeley DB (available here:
http://www.sleepycat.com/download/patchlogs.shtml

You can stay with DB 2.7.7 and run squidGuard from the text files.
SquidGuard will simply rebuild the B-trees from the text files each
time it is started. Once the B-trees are built and loaded into
memory, squidGuard performance is the same, with or without
the db files. You might want to use that approach to do enough
testing to know if squidGuard does what you need. If so, you'll
definitely want to move to db 3.2.9, creating the db files makes
a tremendous difference in squidGuard's startup time."

My suggestion to this user was based on my knowledge that 3.2.9 worked but
other versions had been proven by others to not work..

Perhaps the wording to my reply was a little misleading.
I just know that it definately works with 3.2.9 and it is something easy
this user could check/try.

Jay