Re: [squid-users] Does Squid move objects from disk to RAM?

From: Brett Glass <squid-users@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:00:53 -0600

At 04:48 PM 6/30/2005, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>It is planned to implement a real RAM based cache in Squid, it just isn't really there yet.

It would help as we move toward peak traffic levels of 500 to 1000 hits per second. At
that level, even a cache with multiple drives becomes noticeably disk-bound. Right
now, adding RAM doesn't help, because popular objects don't wind up there unless they're
new. We were baffled as to why the extra RAM wasn't helping until we did some tests and
saw that the TCP_HITs weren't followed by TCP_MEM_HITs on the same URLs.

We could create a "memory disk," but populating it is awkward.

--Brett Glass